Welcome to Brownie's Chair, my blog about all things cross stitch. Feel free to have a look around, and email me if you have any questions or suggestions!

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A to Z Challenge: S is for Sue Hillis

Today is Day 19 of the A to Z Blogging Challenge.  If you are new to the blog and haven't heard of this challenge before, the basic idea is to blog (almost) every day in April, taking one day for each letter of the alphabet. Since I have a cross stitch blog, I am blogging about cross stitch patterns in my stash and on my wish list for this month of April.

S is for Sue Hillis

Now I know many of you have probably heard of this designer.  I love the wide arrange of patterns that Sue has, from the funny and/or sarcastic to beautiful arrangements.  But on the off chance that you haven't heard of her yet, I'd like to share a few things with you.

I have a few Sue Hillis pieces in my stash, most of them are Christmas.  I seem to gravitate towards all things Gingerbread House themed, so I was really lucky to get a copy of her Gingerbread street chart last year right before Christmas.  I think it will go really well with my Shannon Wasileff Gingerbread SAL when I finish that (maybe Christmas this year?).

I also picked up this chart at the same time, Calories Don't Count at Christmas.  Since I'm a big sucker for sweets during Christmastime, this fit right into my life.  I mean, candy you got in your stocking really shouldn't count against the diet, right?  I also  really like all the little candy and sweet motifs and things on this one as well.  This is a good chart to show an example of the more funny side of Sue's designs.

I also got this set of charts, More Bah Humbug.  Now, I'm not a bah humbug kind of person, but for some reason these ornaments just tickle my funny bone.  In case it is too small to see properly, each ornament sized design features a Christmas motif where something has gone wrong.  The lights/ornament are broken, the gingerbread man is over-baked, etc.  One of the blogs I follow (sorry, can't remember which one now, if it was yours leave a comment so I can give you a link!) stitched up all these and the ones from the Bah Humbug chart last year around Christmas and they turned out so cute as little ornaments.  I especially like the broken lights and broken candy canes designs in this set of patterns for some reason.  The yellow snow one is a little too weird for me, so I don't think I will ever end up stitching that particular motif though. 

On the wish list side of things, Sue Hillis also has several pirate designs, which are all quite tounge in cheek and funny.  She has two Christmas-y ones that are my favorite though.  Yo Ho Ho Ho has a pirate-y Santa with a candy cane peg leg and Shiver Me Timbers has a pirate themed snowman.  I have a friend who love pirates (Johnny Depp was her not-so-secret celebrity crush for years, although he's been replaced by Chris Hemsworth in her affections now), and I think either of these designs would make great Christmas gifts for her.

Moving away from Christmas, Sue has a few "closet" designs that are neat.  I like this one, Witch Hazel's closet.  Again, another Halloween pattern, isn't that funny.  But I love how her little witch socks are sticking out of the drawers.  And the cute little purple witchy bloomers.  If I was a witch I bet you this is what my closet would look like.

Another holiday pattern, this one from a series of apron designs.  This looks like the only "current" apron design right now based on what I can find (not that I looked that hard, I'm in a hurry to get this posted today), but I've seen others on eBay before so I'm thinking maybe they're just out of print?  But this Easter Bunny's apron is really cute.  I love the baby bunnies sitting waiting in the pockets and all the Easter egg decorating things in all the pockets.  Adorable.

But Sue doesn't just have holiday designs, and in particular I like this one.  This is the Seven Menopausal Dwarfs.  And although I haven't reached this lovely stage of my life yet (thank goodness, since I'm still in my 20s) I think these could also be re-titled the Seven PMS Dwarfs.  My brother and dad so do not appreciate when these show up during that time of month.  Am I right, ladies?

Anyway, that's it for another long designer post. Come back tomorrow for T.  We're nearing the end now!

One of the other A to Z blogs I've been reading had the excellent idea of adding links to previous posts at the end of a particular day.  So if you'd like to see my previous A to Z entries:

A is for  Alphabet
B is for Britty Kitty
C is for Carousel
D is for Debbie Mumm
E is for Eat
F is for Frogs
G is for Garden Cat
H is for Hats 
I is for Ice
J is for Joan Elliott 
K is for Kokeshi 
L is for Lesley Teare
M is for Margaret Sherry 
N is for Noah's Ark
O is for Owls
P is for Pumpkins
Q is for Quaker
R is for Rules
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I love those, especially the christmas and pirate designs. My wishlist is full of them!

    ReplyDelete