Welcome to Brownie's Chair, my blog about all things cross stitch. Feel free to have a look around, and email me if you have any questions or suggestions!

Friday, March 20, 2015

Free Pattern Friday: April Sweet Peas

Hard to believe we're already three weeks into March.  Sheesh.  Where did the time go?  But since we are that far along, today's free cross stitch pattern is the upcoming April installment in the Flower of the Month series by EMS that are part of the 2015 SAL I'm hosting.  If you want to come join us, all the signup info can be found here.

So although I mentioned last month that March's square is probably my favorite of this bunch, April's sweet pea design probably comes a close second.  I've had a thing for sweet peas since I saw and fell in love with Cicely Mary Barker's Flower Fairies design for the sweet pea.  If you haven't seen it, Google it; you'll love it too.  Also, it's pink, so like January, that's a good thing going for this design too.

Speaking of Google, my quick search informs me that the original sweet pea plant only came in purple, but due to numerous genetic cross breeding, it now comes in many colors.  You may remember good ole Gregor Mendel from your biology class, whose work with cross breeding sweet pea plants led to the discovery of the laws of genetic inheritance. 

But enough with the science lecture.  Sweet pea flowers are associated with messages of goodbye and blissful pleasure, and can also mean "thank you for the wonderful time".  So you should have a wonderful time stitching this, no? 

And now that you're all sweet pea-ed out, you can head over to the EMS Designs website to download April's free cross stitch pattern, and join our SAL if you're interested.  Look for May's pattern to be posted in a couple weeks.

Happy stitching!
post signature




If you ever come across one of my posts that contains a chart that breaks copyright law, please email me and let me know right away. In picking and posting my free cross stitch pattern posts, I make every effort to ensure the designs I share are legitimately free charts.

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty square, are you making a quilt of them when you have them all finished? I used to cross stitch, but it's been ages since I've done that. My nickname...rather my CD handle was sweet pea, lol. Out blog walking today, gearing up for the a-z challenge, hoping to meet more bloggers.

    Sandy at Bridge and Beyond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful chart. I always associate these flowers with summer though? Gorgeous either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful chart this month. I would love to join this, but I think I have to wait until next year. :)

    ReplyDelete