Welcome to Brownie's Chair, my blog about all things cross stitch. Feel free to have a look around, and email me if you have any questions or suggestions!

Thursday, March 5, 2015

March 2015 WIPocalypse

We've reached another full moon, so it's time for a WIPocalypse check-in, as hosted by Measi.

This months topic is: If money – and time – were not limiters, what projects would be on your stitching bucket list?

Well, that's a hard question.  I suppose although money is an issue for me, I would say time is my bigger limiting factor.  I don't stitch tons of really fancy patterns that require lots of specialty threads most of the time. So that would mean my answer would mostly just be those projects already on my wish list, since I would love to stitch any and all of them.  But after some thinking, I was able to come up with a few that probably won't be on my WIP pile anytime soon. 

One of the first large projects that caught my eye was Mirabilia's Lady of the Flag, but due to the largeness of the project, the over 1 skin, and the vast amount of beads, I got way to intimidated and I never bought the pattern.  Now I'm wishing I had, since it appears to have been discontinued, and I can't find it under $35 anywhere.

I would also love to stitch one of Glendon Place's dessert pieces, either Plum Pudding, Baked Alaska, or Grasshopper Pie.  Although the pattern itself isn't too price prohibitive for these, the Dinky Dyes silks used to stitch them are.  Just don't have quite that much money in the budget at the moment.  Maybe sometime.



More on the "unlimited time" side of things, I would love to someday stitch a HAED piece.  The top three on my wish list are Meredith Dillman's Aquamarine, Jo Lynch's Calico Kitty, and Anna Kai's Crazy Owl Family.  All are huge projects that would take a lot of time and dedication to complete.  I've told myself I need to finish some of my much small "big" projects I already have before I'm allowed to attempt one of these.


Another 100% coverage piece I would love to attempt is this pattern from Etsy.  I love Disney princesses, and I've actually been a fan of this piece of art for a long time, so I was excited to see it as a pattern (although again, a HUGE one).


And speaking of Disney, I love Thomas Kinkade's Disney Gallery series of paintings, but have never really liked the kits that have been made from them.  I always think the faces of the characters look a little weird.  The exception for me right now is the Fantasia piece, which is a newer one I beleive, which I really like even though Fantasia has never been a favorite of mine.  Of course, if they do a Princess and the Frog kit, or a kit of the Tangled painting I will have to get those, budget or no budget, since they are two of my favorite paintings in the series. 


Those projects aside, really if money weren't a factor, I would love to spend more money on hand dyed fabrics and flosses.  I really love the variegated feel of those things, but the price (and sometimes lack of colorfastness) has kept me from plunging in so far.

So now that that (long) part of the check in is over, I suppose I should tally up my progress for WIPocalypse this month.   Looking back at my original WIPocalypse goals, here's where I stand so far:

Goal 1: Keep up with the 2015 Flower of the Month SAL - Totally Failed for February.  No start or progress so far.

Goal 2: Crazy January Challenge, completed

Goal 3: Keep up with the other SALs I've taken on this year.  So far, so good.

Goal 4: Work on my 10 Turtle Trot pieces.  Fail for February, since I still haven't started/worked on 3 pieces.  But I still have a few days left before March's TT check in!

Goal 5: Finish Frosted Pumpkin Round Robin when it comes back to me later this year - cannot complete yet.  But I've been seeing the progress in our Facebook Group, and so far Days 8 and 9 of the 12 days of Christmas are complete.

Goal 6: Other projects to start - none started yet.

My finishes for February were Perfume Bottle and Rainbow Mandala, both stitched for World of Charity Stitching quilts, and the February part of Frosted Pumpkins' Once Upon A Time Sampler (my contribution to Round 2 of the above mentioned Round Robin group).  I'm not going to post pictures of these finishes again, since long time readers of my blog have already seen them several times this month, but you can click on the links to see them if you wish.

Of course, I do have something new to share too.  I buckled down and finished up the March block of the Woodland Sampler I posted about yesterday:


Cute little mushroom.  Now it's back to the raccoon, and then onto a new project soon.  Interesting how it seems like I have been stitching non-stop this month, but only have 3 "finishes".  Hmmm...


post signature

8 comments:

  1. Great post and cute finish Alyssa.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not seen the Tangled Kinkade, omyglory. I would hang that in the house instantly lol. Was a bit disappointed in the Lion King one which is my favorite Disney movie. I agree about the faces though. Love that stained glass pattern, too. At first I thought it was a Kingdom Hearts piece which now I need to go check if there was a pattern made on Sprite Stitch hah. Enabler. :D

    Congrats on your Woodland mushroom finish~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, as soon as I can afford it, that Tangled piece will be mine, LOL.

      Delete
  3. I love your bucket list, the Glendon desserts are awesome and so are all the Thomas Kinkade Disney kits in my oppinion. And one can never have enough pretty fabric and floss! Also congrats on your March block, which is really cute, keep on stitching and more finishes will come in time :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all the Kinkades (well, except for the new Pooh), but I won't ever stitch them because I don't like they way they look and all those stupid French knots. I think I just collect them more than anything. But I've seen that Disney one on Etsy too and I wonder how good and detailed the finished product would actually be and how good the patterns are when you buy detailed projects from Etsy. I've bought plenty from there, but they are usually pretty simple stitches and not very complicated. But great goals and wishlists!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your 'wish list' projects! It would be a joy to stitch them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 finishes sounds good to me :). The 'shroom is so cute.

    ReplyDelete