Welcome to Brownie's Chair, my blog about all things cross stitch. Feel free to have a look around, and email me if you have any questions or suggestions!

Thursday, April 9, 2015

A to Z Challenge: H is for Hats

Today is Day 8 of the A to Z Blogging Challenge.  In case you haven't heard of this yet, the idea is to blog (almost) every day in April, taking one day for each letter of the alphabet.

H is for Hat

I actually had a bit of a hard time choosing a theme for today's letter.  I had originally had a Halloween post planned, but my patterns got pulled into other letters which left me a little high and dry for H.  And it took me quite a long time before I came up with the Hat angle.

I have two patterns featuring hats in my stash right now.  This first is a kit from Janlynn called Antique Hat Collection.  I got this from Joann's about a year ago, and it is the piece I can credit with getting me back interested in cross stitch.  My cross stitching tends to go in cycles, and I hadn't picked up any projects for about 3 years until I saw this one calling my name from the shelf.  I don't know how hard the kit is to track down anymore (I haven't seen it myself recently) but this design is also available in the Best of Kooler Design Studio pattern book if you have that around.  I also ended up purchasing two matching kits to go with this one, one with purses and one with shoes. 

Longtime readers of this blog will recognize this one, Let's Be Wicked by Ursula Michael, which I got for my birthday from a good friend in California.  This is a Halloween design, since it features a word art design of a witch's hat.  gain, although I'm not a huge Halloween person, I love stitching Halloween patterns.  Go figure.  On a side note, if you search for hat cross stitch patterns, I'd say 80% of the results are Halloween patterns because of all those witches hats.

On the wish list side of hats, and also on the Halloween side, I've always wanted to stitch Hats Off to Halloween (the original) by Lizzie*Kate.  She's redesigned this pattern now, but I like the original much better for some reason.  I think I remember reading somewhere this was one of the company's very first designs too, so that's kind of neat.

Another trend you see in hat patterns is Red Hat designs.  I am way too young to be considered a Red Hat lady, but I did find one I really like.  This design called Bubble Your Troubles by Diane Arthurs I love, although that has more to do with the bathtub than the hat itself, haha.

One of the other A to Z blogs I've been reading had the excellent idea of adding links to previous posts at the end of a particular day, so I think I will start doing that when I can.  So if you'd like to see my previous A to Z entries:

A is for  Alphabet
B is for Britty Kitty
C is for Carousel
D is for Debbie Mumm
E is for Eat
F is for Frogs
G is for Garden Cat


post signature

6 comments:

  1. Fun post, I loved seeing all of your hat designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Alyssa. I have those last 3 charts.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat collection is need, I watched a lady stitch that one in a facebook group I follow and really adored it. How yome you haven't stitched it yet if it's the one that brought you back to stitching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! It's a long story that involves a cross-country, 2000 mile+ move and a good part of my stitching stash ending up in storage for six months. Sadly, with the other projects I have rolling around at the moment, I haven't had a chance to get it to it lately either.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed visiting your site today.
    ~Visiting from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your hats collection :o)
    I am so looking forward to being the age to retire and join the Red Hat Ladies! When I see them in town they are always having so much fun! and I just love red and purple together!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete