Welcome to Brownie's Chair, my blog about all things cross stitch. Feel free to have a look around, and email me if you have any questions or suggestions!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A to Z Challenge: A is for Alphabet

 Well, today is April 1st, which means it's time for the start of the A to Z Blogging Challenge.  The idea is to blog (almost) every day in April, taking one day for each letter of the alphabet.

Since this is a cross stitch blog, I had to come up with how to do this in a cross stitch related way.  I finally decided on using the next month to share some of my designers and patterns, both from my stash and my wish list.

So.... A is for Alphabet

I seem to have 3 main weaknesses when it comes to choosing patterns.  1, monthly themed patterns, 2, seasonal themed patterns, and 3, alphabets.  I don't know why they appeal to me so much; I don't have kids and am obviously way beyond the ABC stage myself, but there's something so basic and beautifully simple about an ABC pattern.

I'm sure I have more than I can think of at the moment, but 3 of my favorites are part of a series of alphabet samplers in kit form by Imaginating.  I have three: Oh Holy Night (a nativity theme), Flower Garden (flowers, fruits, and vegetables), and Animal ABC (animals obviously).  All three are much bigger than the normal patterns I stitch, so I've been both itching and scared to start one of them.

On the wish list side of things, I really would like this Bush Babies Alphabet pattern from Carrol Nielsen Cross Stitch Designs.  Which just shows I am a glutton for alphabet punishment, since I haven't finished the above designs yet, haha.   There's just something about Australia that has always fascinated me.  I blame my parents taking me to live there for 3 months when I was baby, since they remember it and I don't.  I am determined to go back some day! 

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this short look into my stash and wish list.  Until tomorrow, happy stitching!

post signature

10 comments:

  1. I've never done an alphabet, but have considered it. The ones you've shared look like they would be fun to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the flower/butterfly one above! Happy A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can see that doing the A to Z challenge is going to get me craftng again big style. Yours is the second blog about a craft I used to do that I've read today and both have me itching to pick them up again. Cross stitch was my first real craft love as a child/teen (I still craft but mostly knitting and crochet) and now I want to do some. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi to a fellow traveler on the A to Z Challenge! I don't cross-stitch, but you do good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Oh Holy Night one, it's on my wish list! I'm doing the Stitcher's Alphabet from the same line (not for this challenge - way too big for that! eeps!)

    I have a feeling I'm going to want to add more to my wishlist by the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of beautiful cross stitch pieces here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done any alphabets myself yet, but the three you posted are very beautiful, and I know a few more, so I might have to give in eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have in the past done cross stitching and I wish i had time for more. I love samplers and often they have alphabets included, too. I'll be back around to check on your other projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flower Garden is quite lovely but I think my favorite is O Holy Night but I may be a sucker for Christmas patterns in general! I'm not sure I would stitch them for myself but I like to look at them... and see what they come up with for X haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of your alphabet kits. Are they still available and where can I get them?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete