Welcome to Brownie's Chair, my blog about all things cross stitch. Feel free to have a look around, and email me if you have any questions or suggestions!

Friday, February 20, 2015

Free Pattern Friday: March Daffodils

Today's free cross stitch pattern is another installment in the Flower of the Month series by EMS that are part of the 2015 SAL I'm hosting.  If you want to come join us, all the signup info can be found here.

As February is drawing to a close, it's time to get ready for March, so I'm posting the March pattern of the SAL now so you can prepare if needed.  If you're participating in the SAL, don't forget to show us your progress at the end of this month!

I'm rather partial to March, since it is my birthday month.  And March's flower is one of my favorite flowers, the daffodil.  Actually some people say March's flower is the Jonquil, which look like daffodils to me.  Anyone know the difference?  I like to say "daffodil" better than "jonquil" anyway, so I'm just going to say it's officially the daffodil.  :)

According to Google, the daffodil is also called the "Lent Lily" or the narcissus, which I guess is the official botanical name.  The daffodil stands for rebirth, renewal, and chivalry, and is considered a 10th anniversary flower.  Presenting a gift of a bunch of daffodils is said to bring happiness, while a single daffodil can signify misfortune.

And now the I've bored you with all sorts of daffodil lore, you can head over to the EMS Designs website to download March's free cross stitch pattern, and join our SAL if you're interested.  Look for April's pattern to be posted in a couple weeks.

Happy stitching!


If you ever come across one of my posts that contains a chart that breaks copyright law, please email me and let me know right away. In picking and posting my free cross stitch pattern posts, I make every effort to ensure the designs I share are legitimately free charts.

3 comments:

  1. I too love daffodils.....they're so happy and bright and exactly what you need coming out of winter. Sorry to say that I never completed January's carnation and only printed February's violet but I'm going to make a concentrated effort to get moving on March's daffodil..........of course I'm already working on a spring piece that Brianne is trying to claim......wish me luck!! Toodles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No contest here, they're definitely my favorite flower! :D I always thought daffies had pointed leaves and jonquils had rounded ones (the tips). They're all daffodils to me haha.

    And I have this pattern done already woo! :D It'll give me time to catch up on violets if I don't get them done. IHSW has helped a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My birthday is in March as well and I, too, love Dafodills - oranges and yellows against a green background (like grass) is one of my favourite color combinations anyway. Here in Germany, dafodills are called 'Narzissen' (pretty close to the botanical name) or 'Osterglocken' (Easter bells) :)

    ReplyDelete